Now I live in England, and am a world apart from where I began at sixteen when I started this list. I like to think that the list has led me to many of the amazing things I have in my life. My wonderful Dutch husband, our beautiful five year old daughter, and my quench to learn about and see everything I can. When I wrote the list, the idea that someday my small town self could ride in a taxi cab in NYC was as far off as standing on the Great Wall of China.
Dreams are funny things though. My life is proof year after year that if you seek it hard enough, you will eventually find it. I hope I manage to complete even 75% of my original list before I kick it- god knows that is an even harder task with all the unofficial dreams that get tacked on every year.
Jessica’s: “100 Things to do Before I Die”
1. Visit Tibet.
2. Get married.
5. See Area 51. (Well, at least the sign.)
6. Write a book. (At least 100 pages.)
7. Fly a plane, get certified.
8. Give birth.
9. Ride a camel in Egypt.
10. Drive a zambonie, certification may be necessary.
11. Hike the ENTIRE Appalachian trail.
12. Go snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef.
13. Visit the seven wonders of the world. (My personal list.)
*The Great Pyramids of Giza
*The Taj Mahal
*The Great Wall of China
*The Victoria Falls
*The Empire State Building
*The Eiffel Tower
14. Travel to every continent.
15. See ‘Running of the Bulls’ at a safe distance.
16. Waltz at the Vienna Opera Ball.
17. Take Ballroom Dancing lessons.
18. Niagara Falls
19. Visit Today Show… bring a sign
20. Visit Saint Peter Cathedral in the Vatican.
21. Take a bus or motorhome around Canada and just write poetry.
22. Get a pet Venus Flytrap.
23. Float in the Dead Sea.
24. Learn to sail.
25. Visit the mosque of Djenne, Mali.
26. Make bread from scratch.
27. Climb a mountain. (Be definition only, no height requirements.)
28. Ride an elephant through the jungles in Thailand.
29. Become a mentor to a child.
30. Wish on a shooting star.
31. Catch a firefly, put him in a jar.
32. Fly over the Grand Canyon in a helicopter.
33. See the sunrise over the ruins of Machu Pichu.
34. Stand on the Great Wall of China.
35. Attend Mardi Gras, get some beads.
36. Learn to play the piano.
37. Go skinny dipping.
38. Burn my bra.
39. See the aurora borealis.
40. Graduate from college.
41. Attend the El Dia de los Muertos festival in Mexico.
42. Learn yoga.
43. Bathe in the Blue Lagoon in Grindavik, Iceland.
44. Bare all at a nudist colony. (Palm Springs perhaps?)
45. Take painting lessons.
46. Explore the New York Public Library.
47.Visit Michelangeo’s David.
48. Tour a vineyard, then sample their product.
49. Write to Dear Abby. (Unfortunately, she has since died.)
51. Stay in the Presidential Suite for one night in a five star hotel.
52. Take the Orient Express.
53. Ride in a gondola in Venice.
54. Kiss the Blarney stone in Ireland.
55. Thaipusm festival in Singapore.
56. No TV for a month.
57. Give blood.(Face fear of needles!)
58. Go white water rafting on Snake River in Idaho
59. Go surfing.
60. Go hangliding.
61. Go parasailing. (Sanya, Hainan province, China)
62. Take part in Ash Wednesday.
63. Go to Ben and Jerry’s in Burlington
64. Go on a mission trip.
65. Kiss in the rain. (Technically it’s happened, but not perfectly yet.)
66. Get a “Letter to the Editor” published.
67. Buy something from Armani.
68. Fall in love.
69. Be inspired by Whitman, write a poem about blades of grass.
70. Ride a unicycle.
71. Go to Catholic Mass.
72. Learn to juggle.
73. Learn conversational Chinese.
74. Learn to play poker.
75. Be a human guinea pig and earn some cash.
76. Hold a seance.
77. Use Feng Shui.
78. Learn about Opera.
79. Visit Condoms to Go. Simply because we thought it was the craziest idea in the world circa 8th grade.
80. Learn the Hebrew alphabet.
81. Legitimately attempt to get on a gameshow.
82. Be able to quote Buddha in conversation.
83. Sell something on Ebay.
84. Understand the Stock Market.
85. Attend a sculpting class.
86. Date on the beach.
87. Read all of the “classics”.
88. Have a day without fear. Do everything that crosses your mind.
89. Invest in the stockmarket. (After #84)
90. Work in a soup kitchen.
91. Go to a charity benefit
92. Learn to Ramba, Cha Cha, and Tangoe.
93. Play a harp (Talent/lessons not necessary.)
94. Research someone in history and visit the places they went.
95. Bake a pie.
96. Do something illegal.
97. Ride a taxi in New York City
98.Birdwatch at Yosemite National Park.
99. Go on an adventure trip in New Zealand.
100. Bring my kids to the San Diego Zoo.